June 29, 2016
None of your known passwords work and couldn’t log into Windows 10? If you don’t have a password reset disk, you might have no way to get into your computer. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to bypass Windows 10 password with a install CD if you lost your password.
How to Bypass Windows 10 Password with Install CD
Boot your computer from Windows 10 installation CD. When boots to the Windows Setup screen, press SHIFT + F10 key combinations to open the Command Prompt.
At the Command Prompt, type the following commands to replace the sethc.exe file with cmd.exe. Remember to replace d:\ with the actual drive letter of your Windows 10 partition.
copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe d:\
copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
Now stop Windows Setup and eject the install CD. Reboot your computer.
From the Windows 10 login screen, press the SHIFT key 5 times in a row to open Command Prompt in administrative mode. You can use he net user command to change or remove your forgotten user password. Replace username with the name of your actual account, and newpassword with your desired password.
net user username newpassword
Now close the Command Prompt and reboot. You can then log into Windows 10 with your new password. This method should be the best free way to reset forgotten Windows 10 password and it’s reliable and free.
October 30, 2014
Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has tried to push users to sign in to Windows with a Microsoft account. Comparing to a local account, you can easily recover a lost Microsoft account password without using any password cracking software or tricks.
In theory, you only have to go to https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx and Microsoft will send you a password reset link to your alternate email address or to your phone. But things may get tricky if the alternate recovery email address is wrong or inaccessible.
Another problem exists with resetting a Microsoft account password if you use the password to sign in to your Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 machine. Let’s assume you entered the recovery email correctly and received a password reset code. If the computer on which you forgot the password has no Internet access, you won’t be able to sign in with the new password. If you have no other account for this computer, you are in trouble.
Luckily there is a powerful recovery utility which can not only reset Windows 8 local account password, but also bypass Microsoft account login offline. The program is PCUnlocker, and it can boot from either a Live CD or USB stick. After booting your computer off the CD, it enables you to reset a forgotten Microsoft account password with ease. Check out this article for step-by-step instructions: How to Log in to Windows 8 If You Forgot Microsoft Account Password.
This software works by modifying the Windows password hashes that are cached locally for offline login, so you can then login to Windows 8 with a temporary password, and afterward switch back to use a local account. The temporary password provided by PCUnlocker couldn’t be used to connect to Microsoft online services such as email or Microsoft’s cloud.
August 4, 2014
Forgot Windows Vista Home Premium password? Unable to login with the only administrator account on your computer? PCUnlocker is one of the best Windows password recovery tools that can reset Windows Vista Home Premium password easily. Here’s step-by-step tutorial for you to unlock Windows Vista Home Premium in the event your administrator password is lost or forgotten.
- Download and save the PCUnlocker self-extracting Zip file to a folder on your hard drive, then extract the ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso from it.
- Download and install ISO2Disc, a freeware for making bootable CD or USB drive. Run the ISO2Disc program, click on Browse to select the PCUnlocker ISO image.
- Click the Start Burn button to create a Windows Vista password removal disk.
- Insert the password removal disk into your locked Windows Vista computer.
- Turn on the computer. When it is powered on, check the boot-screen for setup key (i.e. Delete key, F12 key, F2 key) to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
- Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab, then change the boot device priority. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD or USB before your hard drive.
- Press F10 to save your changes and exit BIOS.
- The computer will then restart from your Vista password removal disk. After a while, you’ll see the PCUnlocker program and it shows you a list of local accounts stored in the Security Accounts Manager (SAM).
- Select a user account from the list and click the Reset Password button. The program will reset Windows Vista password immediately.
- Disconnect the Vista password removal disk and restart your computer. Windows Vista should automatically log you on without asking for a password!
Once you’re logged in, you can go to the Control Panel to change your Vista Home Premium password to something else that you can remember.
July 8, 2014
Lost Windows 8 admin password for your HP Pavilion laptop? If you have no idea what the password is, here’s how can you easily remove Windows 8 password on your HP Pavilion laptop.
How to Remove Lost HP Pavilion Windows 8 Password?
1. Before resetting your password, you need to create a bootable PCUnlocker USB drive from an alternate PC. Download the ISO image of PCUnlocker and then burn it to a USB flash drive with ISO2Disc.
2. Plug the USB drive into your HP Pavilion laptop. Turn on your laptop and repeatedly press the ESC key to access the Startup Menu. As the startup menu indicates, press F10 to enter BIOS Setup.
3. Go to the System Configuration menu, enter Boot Options. Change Legacy Boot to ENABLE, then move USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive to top of boot order. Save your changes and exit BIOS.
4. During reboot, press the ESC key to access the Startup Menu again. This time press F9 to boot from USB drive.
5. PCUnlocker will load after USB boot. It displays a list of local accounts for your Windows 8 system. Choose a account and click on Reset Password button. This will remove your forgotten Windows 8 password instantly.
6. Restart your laptop and disconnect the USB drive. You can then login to your HP Pavilion Windows 8 laptop without a password! That’s it!
June 10, 2014
What to do if you forgot Windows 8.1 password on Dell Venue Pro tablet? Dell Venue Pro comes with 32-bit UEFI firmware instead of standard BIOS, and legacy-based password reset bootdisk will therefore not boot successfully. In this tutorial I’ll show you how to create a live USB drive with 32-bit UEFI bootloader, and then use it to bypass Windows 8.1 password on Dell Venue 8/11 Pro tablet.
Part 1: Create A UEFI Bootable USB Media
- Before getting started to reset Dell Venue Pro password, you need to use another computer to make a bootable PCUnlocker USB drive. Simply download the trial version of PCUnlocker Enterprise, unzip the downloaded file and you’ll get an ISO image file called pcunlocker.iso.
- Next download and install the freeware ISO2Disc. Run the ISO2Disc program, click on Browse button to select the PCUnlocker ISO image, then choose your USB drive and select GPT partition style. Click on Burn.
- A UEFI bootable USB media will be created in minutes. If you don’t have a USB drive at hand, you can try to make a UEFI bootable CD from the ISO image.
Part 2: Bypass Windows 8.1 Password on Dell Venue Pro Tablet
- Insert the USB boot media into your Dell Venue Pro 8/11 tablet.
- While power on the tablet, press and hold the volume down button (second silver button from the top on the left side) until the Dell logo appears. You will then be able to get into the UEFI BIOS.
- Go to the Boot tab, disable the Secure Boot option and set USB flash drive as the first bootable device.
- Save your changes and exit BIOS. The tablet will then boot from USB media. After a while, you’ll see the PCUnlocker program and it shows you a list of local accounts existing on your Dell Venue Pro tablet.
- Choose a local account and then click Reset Password button, it will reset your forgotten password immediately. If you’re using a Microsoft Account with your Dell Venue Pro tablet, choose the local account associated to your Microsoft account and then reset its password.
Restart your Dell Venue Pro tablet and disconnect the UEFI bootable USB media. You can then log in to your Windows 8.1 system without a password. It’s that easy!
May 3, 2014
Lost the SA password you set during SQL Server setup? How to obtain access to SQL Server after the SA account got locked out or disabled? Don’t panic! With the SQL Server password recovery tool you can reset lost SA password and unlock SQL Server without reinstalling.
How to Reset Lost SA Password for SQL Server 2012, 2008 and 2005?
The SA login is stored in the master database (master.mdf) file, but this file is inaccessible while SQL Server is running. To unlock SA account in SQL Server, you need to first stop your SQL Server instance, and then install SQL Server Password Changer on your local computer.
Start the SQL Server Password Changer program. Click on Open File button and select the master database (master.mdf) for your SQL Server instance. For example, in SQL Server 2008 Express the master.mdf file resides in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA
After you’ve chosen the master database file, the program will analyze the file format and extract all database users from it. Choose the SA account and click on Change Password button. In the pop-up window, enter your desired new password and click OK.
The program will reset the SA password, and also enable / unlock the SA account when it is disabled or locked out. Start your SQL Server instance and you can then successfully connect to your SA account using your new password. Done!
April 17, 2014
Forgot your picture password and cannot log on to Windows 8 any longer? Don’t panic. Here I’ll explain 2 methods for you to unlock Windows 8 picture password if you forgot it.
Method 1: Login with Alternative Sign-in Options
As long as you can remember the traditional text password, Microsoft account password or PIN that are set up on your computer, you can switch to an alternative sign-in option to log on to Windows 8 by following these steps:
- After drawing the wrong gestures on your chosen image, you’ll get the error message that says “The picture password is incorrect. Try again.” Click OK.
- On the next screen. Click on “Switch to Password” button. You can then see all sign-in options that are available on your computer.
- Choose the sign-in option that you can remember the login credentials and you can log back into Windows 8 again.
Method 2: Use PCUnlocker Boot Disk
If you are unable to login with any sign-in option, you’ll need to create a PCUnlocker boot disk on another computer. Afterwards, boot your locked Windows 8 computer from the boot disk and you can reset Windows 8 password easily! Here are step-by-step instructions:
- Download the ISO image of PCUnlocker and burn it to your CD using the ISO2Disc program.
- Now go back to your Windows 8 locked PC, and insert the disk you just made. If your BIOS isn’t set up to boot the Optical Drive first, you may need to change that.
- After booting from the CD, you’ll see the PCUnlocker program which shows you a list of your Windows 8 local user accounts.
- Choose your desired account and click on “Reset Password” button. It will unlock / reset your password quickly, even you’re using a Microsoft account.
- Reboot your computer and you can then log back into your Windows user account without password prompt.
Security researchers have found that the picture password is much less secure than a traditional text-based password. Windows 8 uses reversible encryption to store the picture password. You can crack Windows 8 picture password easily, as long as you can log on Windows as administrator.
April 14, 2014
Forgot your Windows administrator password and don’t have a CD or USB drive at hand? In this tutorial we’ll show you a simple way to reset Windows password without disk. Let’s proceed.
Of course, if you do have a PCUnlocker Live CD, you can reset your password the easy way with a few mouse clicks. The following trick works with local account only. If you’re using a Microsoft Account to login to your computer, you can also use PCUnlocker to reset lost Microsoft Account password.
How to Reset Lost Windows Password without Disk?
- Turn on your computer. While the computer is coming up and you can see it saying “Starting Windows”. Hold down the Power button for at least 5 seconds to force power off your computer.
- When a sudden power loss is detected, the next time you turn on your computer and it will ask you if you want to launch startup repair or start normally. Choose the Launch Startup Repair (recommended) menu.
- Startup Repair will boot up and take a little while. When it asks you if you want to restore your computer to an earlier point, click Cancel.
- The Startup Repair Tool begins analyzing startup log files for clues as to the source of the problem and then launches a series of diagnostic tests to determine the cause of the startup failure. After a long time, you will get a dialog saying that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically! Click on View problem details.
- Now scroll down to the end of the Detail Report. Click on the last link to read Microsoft’s offline privacy statement.
- Notepad will come up with the privacy statement in it. Click on the File menu and then Open.
- In the File Open dialog box, change the Files of type option to All Files. Browse to the Sticky Keys application – C:\windows\system32\sethc.exe. Rename this file as a backup file: I named it “sethc-copy”.
- Now find the cmd.exe file in the same folder. This is your Command Prompt. rename it to sethc.exe. Then close out of all the dialog boxes and Finish, so that the computer restarts.
- Once you get to the Windows login screen, hit the Shift key 5 times and it will open the Command Prompt window instead of the Sticky Keys application.
- Now to reset the password – just type the following command, replacing the username and password with the combination you want:
reset user top-password.com 123456
- Close the Command Prompt and you should be able to log on to Windows with your new password.
That’s it! You’ve successfully reset Windows password without a CD or USB drive.
March 24, 2014
Did you know that all the settings you make in Firefox, like your home page, saved passwords and bookmarks are all stored in a special profile folder? It’s true. Your profile folder is kept in a separate place from the Firefox program so that if something ever goes wrong with Firefox your information will still be there. It also means you can uninstall Firefox without losing your settings.
Just like Firefox, other programs such as Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and Flock also store all your personal settings in a profile folder. So if you forgot the passwords saved in Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey or Flock, you can recover them easily from your profiles. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to retrieve all types of saved passwords from Firefox / Thunderbird / SeaMonkey / Flock profiles.
How to Retrieve Firefox / Thunderbird / SeaMonkey / Flock Passwords?
- Download the setup package of Firefox Password Recovery and save it on your computer.
- After you’ve downloaded it, double-click on the setup file to install it.
- Start the Firefox Password Recovery program. Click on the “Recover From File” button. This will bring up the Mozilla Password Recovery dialog.
- Click on the “Browse” button to select your Firefox / Thunderbird / SeaMonkey or Flock profile. For example, the typical path of a Firefox profile is usually
C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. While in Windows XP, it’s
C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. If you are still unable to locate the profile folder, just search the signons.sqlite file which resides in the profile folder of your application.
- Click OK. The program will decrypt and recover all your saved passwords from the selected profile. So this is how can you recover Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and Flock passwords easily.
March 5, 2014
Lost admin privileges on your Windows user account? If you can’t access the administrator account, or your administrator account was demoted to a guest or limited account, you will be restricted from performing any administrative tasks.
In this tutorial we’ll explain how to regain your PC’s administrator privileges with PCUnlocker. PCUnlocker is a bootable utility that could be used to promote a limited / standard user account to administrator, or unlock / reset your forgotten administrator password on Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP.
Part 1: Create A PCUnlocker Live CD/USB Drive
- Click here to download and save the PCUnlocker self-extracting Zip file to a folder on your hard drive, then extract the ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso from it.
- Insert a blank CD or USB flash drive into your computer. Download and install the freeware ISO2Disc.
- Start the ISO2Disc program. Click the Browse button to locate your ISO image file, then click the Start Burn button to burn the ISO image to your CD or USB flash drive.
Part 2: Boot Your Locked PC from CD/USB Drive
- Connect the burned CD or USB drive to the computer that you’re trying to gain admin rights on. When it is powered on, check the boot-screen for setup key (i.e. DELETE key, F8 key, F2 key) to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
- Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab, then change the Boot Device Priority: Set 1st Boot Device to CDROM if you just created a bootable CD or DVD, or set 1st Boot Device to Removable Device if a bootable USB flash drive was created.
- Press F10 to save your changes. Now your computer will restart and then boot from PCUnlocker Live CD/USB drive. If you still can’t get your computer to boot from the CD/USB drive, please refer to this boot up troubleshooting guide.
Part 3: Gain Admin Privileges on Windows Account
- After the computer boots up from the CD or USB drive, it will start the PCUnlocker program which shows you a list of local accounts that are stored in Windows SAM registry hive. Select your user account and click on Reset Password button.
- Click Yes to confirm your operation. The program will remove your user password, promote your account to an administrator if it’s a standard or limited account, and enable / unlock it when necessary.
- Click Restart to reboot the computer and remove the CD or USB drive. You can then log into your Windows administrator-level user account without a password.
It’s so easy to get admin privileges back on your Windows account and regain full control of your computer. I hope this will also help you in case you lost admin rights on Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP.